Fitness professional Louisa Drake drew on her background as a professional dancer and choreographer to create the Louisa Drake Method (LDM). A LDM workout will transform your body, boost your metabolism, lengthen and lean out your muscles for more strength, flexibility and a sculpted physique. For Balance Me she shared her five easy ways to bring more fitness and wellbeing into your working day:
- "Change up your daily commute and get moving before you even reach the office or hit the streets on your way home. Walk, bike or get off a stop or two early. You should be reaching at least 4,000 steps per day but be aiming for 10,000 steps. Exercise boosts your mood and wellbeing and is a great way to find some headspace. Its take two weeks to make a new habit and fitness trackers and apps are a helpful way to track your activity and a gentle reminder to stay active everyday and reach your targets.
- "There are lots of phone and computer apps on the market that help you schedule breaks, remind you to step away from the computer and guide you through work-friendly exercises. Try adding some easy desk exercises to release neck and shoulder tension. Add gentle neck stretches by lowering your chin to your chest, tilting your head to one side and rolling the shoulders back and front. To avoid pins and needles and to get your circulation going introduce leg stretches, heel and toe movements or ankle circles. Stand more and move your spine, even if its for a short period of time, its an effective way to counteract the ill effects of sitting. Standing burns more calories plus walking to a co-worker instead of sending an email or taking the stairs in place of the lift all add to your total daily steps.
- "Get outside, fresh air and time away from your desk will increase energy levels, focus and getting your body moving maximises your health and fitness step by step. You’ll get more done with more energy, a brisk walk is one of the best natural energisers around. It boosts circulation and increases oxygen supply to every cell in your body, helping you to feel more alert. Try walking on your lunch break to achieve more in the afternoon or, if you are based in London, you could sign up to one of our Wellness Events starting this month where we'll help you kickstart your morning with a LDM workout (followed up with a tasty Detox Kitchen breakfast pot!).
- "Check your chair! If you have an uncomfortable office chair or suffer from lower back pain or tension in the hips consider investing in a Pilates foam block or Posture brick to sit on to help aid better posture. It does this by levelling the pelvis, raising the hips for a straighter spine and changing your posture by a few degrees. Alternatively switch your office chair for a large exercise ball. Unlike a chair, sitting on an exercise ball engages your core muscles and helps to improve your stability.
- "Squeeze in a workout. Before work, during your lunch break or after office hours. I offer lunchtime workouts at my Fitzrovia Studio to sweat, sculpt, lengthen and stretch - and all within 45 minutes. If you are lucky enough to have access to a gym in your building, use it, or source out a studio nearby and encourage a work colleague to sign up with you."
Thanks, Louisa! If you live in London, the Louisa Drake Method has two boutique fitness studios (LDM Fitzrovia, based within the Detox Kitchen's Flagship deli and LDM Muswell Hill, located within Sweaty Betty) where you can sign up for one of Louisa's workouts or for private training - or, from Tuesday 26th June catch one of six Al Fresco Wellness Events taking place with the Detox Kitchen on the Fitzroy Chapel lawn (tickets available here). For those of you who don't live in London, fear not! The LDM also offer a range of hybrid online workouts (all designed to transform your fitness, health and wellbeing) that you can access via her site, here.